Tuesday 4 October 2011

Best Of Disc Art 1

 This book, Rivers, C., 2008. Best of Disc Art 1: Innovation in Cd, Dvd & Vinyl Packaging Design: v. 1, Rotovision; features a wide variety of innovative and attractive packaging designs for music releases on both vinyl and CD.

 This fold out poster idea is something I have considered designing for my packaging design project, I think it's a clever way to package music as it is a clever way to maximise the amount of surface area available for printing on and gives the owner a lot more to look at when they're listening to the music. Something I always do when I listen to a new album is read the book that comes with it and pore over the artwork, in an attempt to create some sort of link between the sound and imagery that provides a greater understanding of the overall package.
 I particularly like the use of cut outs on these records, they give greater depth to the packaging and add a sense of intrigue.


 This Against Me! release works particularly well because of it's simplicity. The stark contrast of black and white and the use of a palm tree gives a sense of of depth and emotion to this artwork.
 I love the classic styling of this Pipettes boxset, it reminds me of the old Capitol Records sleeves.

No comments:

Post a Comment